GARC Education Platform (GEP)
The GARC Education Platform is a set of free, online courses developed to improve the skills and knowledge of people working in rabies awareness and prevention. These courses have been designed to be applicable in all geographical locations and accessible to everyone, including people with no previous knowledge of rabies.
The courses are available in multiple languages, and course material can be downloaded and studied offline in places with inadequate internet access, but the final assessment must be taken online. More courses for different areas of rabies control activities will be added as they are developed. All courses are accessible here.
The courses are occasionally incorporated into offline regional and country workshops by GARC and its partners, but individual access to the courses is only online.
The Rabies Educator Certificate (REC) was the first course to be released, and is a foundation course that must be completed to access other GEP courses. It equips people with the knowledge and skills to effectively disseminate accurate, life‐saving information regarding rabies and its prevention in at-risk communities. It is available in English, Spanish and French. A downloadable English REC flyer is available here.
The REC modules include:
- What is rabies and how do people and animals get the disease
- How to avoid dog bites and prevent rabies
- Caring for animals
- Understanding the role of a community educator in preventing dog bites and rabies
- Communicating with people
The Animal Handling and Vaccination Certificate (AVC) course builds on the REC and is an introduction to effective and humane dog handling and vaccination. The AVC course should be followed by physical training under the guided supervision of a professional and is also suitable for trained professionals who wish to refresh their knowledge and stay up-to-date regarding new techniques and tools on dog handling and vaccination. The AVC is available in English and French. A downloadable English AVC flyer is available here.
The AVC covers:
- The role of the animal handler and vaccinator
- Understanding animal behaviour
- Effective ways to approach dogs
- Equipment needed to catch and handle dogs
- Effective vaccine administration techniques.
The Community Coordinator for Rabies Certificate (CCC) helps individuals to become the focal point of rabies prevention in their community. As with the AVC, you need to complete the Rabies Educator Certificate in order to enrol for this course.
The CCC course expands beyond community education, providing skills and step-by-step guidelines to build useful relationships and manage common situations such as bite incidents, potential rabies cases, and follow up for post-exposure treatment.
The CCC course develops skills in the following areas:
- The role of a Community Coordinator for Rabies
- Building a relationship with community leaders
- Building links with the medical and veterinary sector
- The Coordinator's role during mass dog vaccination campaigns
- The Coordinator's role during a bite case or possible rabies exposure
- Waste management within the community
This course is currently available in English. A downloadable CCC flyer is available here.
The Rabies Healthcare Certificate (RHC), launched in December 2018, has been designed specifically for human healthcare professionals to increase proficiency in all elements of managing potential human rabies cases.
It covers the latest guidelines from the World Health Organization (WHO), including the newest PrEP and PEP schedules, and also includes advice, quizzes and case studies to address situations that arise in different field conditions. The RHC covers the following:
- How do you prevent rabies in humans?
- Rabies pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for humans
- What to do when a potentially exposed individual presents at a healthcare facility
- Special considerations for rabies post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) in humans
- Clinical presentation and management of rabies in humans
- Laboratory confirmation of a human rabies case
This course is available in English, and you can download and share a flyer for the course.