GARC thanks the communities and stakeholders from around the world for supporting World Rabies Day 2020
On the occasion of the 14th World Rabies Day, the Global Alliance for Rabies Control would like to thank communities and stakeholders from around the world for their engagement, helping to raise awareness, and contribute towards controlling and eliminating the disease - not only on World Rabies Day, but throughout the year.
Since its creation in 2007, GARC has sought to share, promote, and provide education and communication materials to enable individual and collective actions across the world on World Rabies Day.
The day exists to raise awareness of the disease, promote health seeking behaviour, and share the impact on those who live daily at risk of this entirely preventable, yet deadly disease. If you have not already done so, please list your event on the global platform, so that we can share and promote your activities.
As our African CEO, Prof Louis Nel, likes to emphasize with an African proverb: ‘If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.’ GARC wants to go all the way in eliminating dog rabies, and to this end, we know and strongly believe that we need to go together.
We are always asked what we are doing on this day. In addition to the development of the theme, global coordination, development of materials, and the promotion of World Rabies Day, the Global Alliance for Rabies Control team has been working with a number of partners and collaborates around the world, to allow us to go further together:
This year, these have included:
- Coping with Covid-19 need not derail progress against rabies
- International Companion Animal Management Coalition
- Progress Towards a Rabies-Free World Hindered by COVID-19
- Philippine Daily Inquirer
- Philippine Star
Events and Webinars with contribution from the GARC Team:
- Africa Rabies Day Webinar – OIE regional office for Africa
- International Webinar -World Rabies Day- 2020 - Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (KVASU), India
- One Health Webinar - IZSVe
- REMESA Round Table on the way forward towards ZeroBy30 goal
- United Against Rabies Forum
- Webinaire en l'occasion de la Journée Mondiale contre la Rage 2020- IVSA Morocco
- World Rabies Day Webinar-Philippine Foundation for Vaccination
- World Rabies Day 2020 - Vets Beyond Borders Event
- WSAVA webinars
Education and awareness outreach:
- Working with the Knowledge Channel, Philippines to deliver an online lesson for World Rabies Day in the Philippines
- Working with IVSA to support the next generation of Rabies Champions.
- Working with China Biodiversity Conservation Green Development Foundation (CBCGDF) WRD programme in Wuhan, China – with online TV coverage of GARC and CBCGDF collaboration.
If you have not already done so, please join the End Rabies Now campaign, so that you can pledge your support to the goal of “Zero by 30” and also contribute news articles to share your progress and activities throughout the year.
We would like to thank everyone who was involved in a World Rabies Day activity worldwide. Without you - the people in the communities and the experts around the world – rabies elimination would not be possible. It takes a joint effort, with Collaboration and Vaccination to End Rabies.