Zimbabwe National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is the Governing and Investigative umbrella body of all SPCA’s in Zimbabwe.
ZNSPCA is a registered PVO that works towards the promotion of effective means for the prevention of cruelty and relief of suffering to animals throughout Zimbabwe. The membership of ZNSPCA comprises all Zimbabwe SPCA Centers. Inspectors service the vast majority of the country outside of the urban areas, where there were vast numbers of companion, livestock and wild animals without any form of protection.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we have had to go door to door in some communities to offer our assistance.
We do this by word of mouth in rural communities. Our Mobile unit that we send out into the areas at a Static point was not permitted during COVID restrictions. Where assistance was required we would collect and carry the animal for treatment and then Return to the owner.
ZNSPCA Inspectors assisted with the following from Jan 2019 - Feb 2020 to
1. Detected and reported 6 positive Rabies cases.
2. Educated 466 people on vaccinating their animals against rabies
3. 2112 stray dogs and cats were taken off the street and vaccinated for free against
4. 722 dogs that were surrendered to the animal shelter were re-vaccinated for free
5. 103 abandoned dogs were vaccinated for free
5. We also confiscate illegal puppies from vendors. Thus far 17 puppies have been confiscated, vaccinated and housed until adoption.
6. Our Spay & Neuter campaigns have also been very active, helping to manage dog populations. We have sterilized 896 dogs and 315 cats since Jan 2019.
(content modified from nomination information)