Dog Population Census (DPC) tool
Used by: Stakeholders interested in estimating the free-roaming dog population size.
What is the DPC?
The Dog Population Census (DPC) tool enables users to determine the population size and dynamics of free-roaming dogs in a given area. The tool calculates the estimated number of free-roaming dogs in any project area using scientifically robust methodology.
Why should I use the DPC?
- Automatically extrapolates free-roaming population estimates,
- Is easy to use in combination with a step-by-step protocol,
- Requires little training, and
- Works offline.
It will help you to:
- Easily estimate the free-roaming dog population size.
- Provide sufficiently accurate dog population data that is useful for rabies elimination efforts.
How do I use the DPC?
The DPC tool can be used in the field with the GARC App using a smartphone or tablet. The implementation of the DPC tool is reliant on the use of a step-by-step protocol that will enable users to determine accurate estimates of their free-roaming dog population.
What data does the DPC capture?
- Date and time
- GPS location
- Sight/resight (Marked or unmarked)
- Day of survey
- Sex of the observed animal
- Age of the observed animal
What are the outputs from the DPC?
- Free-roaming dog population estimates (total)
All outputs are automatically generated by the tool. Therefore, there is no need for manual computations of complex mathematical formulas!